Tuesday 29 July 2014

The Makings of a 90s party

90s themed photo booth DIY
I just love themed parties, so when I heard that I was invited to a 90's kids party (for grown ups), I was very excited, and more than happy to get stuck in to helping with the prep and creating a 90's Photo Booth!

To start off with we decided to make a backdrop for the photo booth.  This was made from an old sheet and some bright acrylic paints which we bought from Tiger.  Much fun was had creating a 'splatter' effect. There is definitely a technique to it!
Make your own DIY 90s Photo Booth
When you think of the nineties, what pops into your head? I was between 4 and 14, so most of my memories consist of cartoons, games and toys! I had a gameboy and loved to play Super Mario, as well as Pokemon, so I got to work making a giant Gameboy! I found a box that was about the right proportions and then printed out a screen shot from the game.  The buttons were made from cut out pieces of plastic cork and polystyrene, and I painted the details on with acrylics.
DIY giant cardboard gameboy
Speaking of Pokemon, I knew we HAD to have a Pokeball involved somewhere, so I made one using a small globe ball from Tiger, and lots of acrylic paint!  The button was made from a section of cork painted white. I really wish it worked and I could unleash my very own Pikachu, but alas, we are not that technically advanced yet.
diy pokeball
Obviously the Spice Girls were a 90's phenomenon, so I found this picture of an old Smash Hits cover, printed it out, and glued it on to a telco magazine.
smash hits spice girls 90s prop
Lets face it, ALL boys and a lot of girls, were obsessed with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  So I just had to re-create the masks worn by Leonardo and Crew. I had a load of canvas type fabric which I find takes acrylic paint super well, and I used the general shape of the mask outline I made in this halloween post. I was so pleased with the way they came out, since they were pretty quick and easy to do!
DIY Teenage mutant ninja turtles masks
Remember the Goosebumps books? I'm sure they were pretty much a staple in any kids book collection. I knocked up a quick copy by printing off the front page of the wonderfully named 'Shocker on Shock Street', and making a sleeve to fit around an old book I already had.

And who could forget Keenan and Kel? 'Who loves orange soda?'  We made a bottle of Orange soda so that guests could channel their inner Kel. We also had copious amounts of Orange soda to drink, by the end of the party I think we all knew where Kel had been coming from all those years ago.
90s Photo Booth props
As a final thought we decided it would be cute to have a sign ready for when the games were being explained.  So Jessica (who was explaining the games) took the place of Clarissa, who as we all know, could explain it all!
clarissa explains it all sign
In my next post I'll show you some of the photos we took in the Photo Booth, and I may be slightly biased, but I think they came out awesome!

Were you a child of the 90s?  What are your favourite memories of that era?

Laura xXx 
(now constantly singing Pokemon and Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme tunes)

6 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I don't know if I could as a 90s kid as I was born in 97 so don't really remember a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teehee- this looks like so much fun!! I'm also a child of the 90s. I remember being obsessed with stickers, rubber bracelets (we called them "shag bands" because if you broke someone else's that basically meant you were shagging. Obviously) and Disney movies (although those are timeless) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I actually formed a 'sticker club' at my school. We had shag bands too, but it only counted if you broke a black band!

      Delete
  3. THIS IS AMAZING!!!! I was 5-15 in the 90s and definitely think of game boy, the turtles and smash hits/the spice girls. But also; AOL, furbies, tamagotchis, gel pens, candy necklaces, ring pops, beanie babies..! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All classic 90s stuff right there! Someone won a tamagotchi at the party for being the last one in at musical statues, I was very jealous!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena