Friday 6 September 2013

My favourite healthy green smoothie


You may remember my little series of healthy smoothie posts that I did a little while back. Well, I have now perfected my favourite healthy smoothie, and I wanted to share it with you today! Here are the quantities of each ingredient that I use;


Ingredients
2 large handfulls Spinach
1 handfull Watercress
1 tin of Pineapple (432g)
A thin slice of chopped Ginger Root
Lemon - Juice of one segment.
Just a sprinkling of Turmeric

For a more filling smoothie add...
Banana
Half an Avocado

These all go in the blender together, and I blend until smooth. 

Now I want to tell you a little bit about why I put each of these ingredients into my smoothie;

Spinach - I don't eat a huge amount of leafy greens, and I'm not a huge fan of spinach in a meal, but I know they are good for me and what to get them into my diet regularly. I find that when you put it in a smoothie mixed with the right ingredients you barely even notice it is there!

Watercress - I was watching a TV program a little while ago and they were investigating studies that watercress has cancer preventing properties. Sounds good to me! As watercress goes off quite quickly, we will often freeze a bag as an emergency supply.

Pineapple (tinned or fresh) - Pineapple is the best ingredient for overpowering the flavours of the spinach and watercress, plus it is really refreshing. If I have run out of pineapple, I will sometimes use pineapple juice instead. It's not quite as filling but is just as good for you.

Ginger - This has been used since ancient times for its medical properties, and I also like the zingy flavour it adds!

Lemon - Again this is good for overpowering the peppery watercress, but the other day whilst watching 'How not to grow old', I also saw that it has anti ageing properties!

Turmeric - This is a relatively new discovery, again made whilst watching 'How not to grow old'. They said that as well as lemons, turmeric is great for its anti ageing properties.  I'm not going to lie, this is the one ingredient that can make the smoothie taste a little strange, like you have just dropped a bit of your curry in it by accident. BUT, supposedly it is really good for you, so I have been just adding a small sprinkling.

I drink this smoothie practically every day, and since I have been I have noticed my skin has really improved! I also feel more energetic and generally healthy! I usually have it first thing in the morning, sometimes I will also have breakfast later, and sometimes I will add banana and/or half an avocado to it to it to make it a bit more filling. You might also want to add a little bit of water if the smoothie looks too thick for you.

If you are dying to try out this recipe, but find yourself blenderless, fear not! I am running a competition to win a fantastic Kenwood Blender at the moment! So don't miss your chance!

What is your healthy smoothie preference?

Laura xXx

5 comments:

  1. This was really interesting! I've never tried a green smoothie before but now I really want to.

    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on a green smoothie kick lately as well. I don't mind salads, but I find the green smoothies an easier way of making sure I get my leafy greens. Will have to try out this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are on to something here as you look very youthful and I'm sure it's your healthy smoothie diet :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Claire for that lovely complement :) After I posted this Chris and I both got terribly sick, then recently we received an email from saisburys saying they had recalled the batch of watercress that we had purchased because it had ecoli in it and was making people sick. Can you believe it, watercress!? So smoothies aren't always as innocent as they look! Haha

      Delete
  4. I love eggs and could eat them every morning for breakfast. Weight Loss Smoothies

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena