Wednesday 12 December 2012

DIY Yourself A Free Christmas Tree

diy christmas decoration
I have been feeling inspired to make some DIY Christmas decorations this year. The other day I saw a faux tree at the Hobbycraft shop. It wasn't your usual Christmas tree, it was white and had no leaves! It did look ever so pretty, but it was far too expensive for me to buy, which got me to thinking, perhaps I could make it myself! So off I went on a mission to find the perfect twig to paint white, and I think I found just the one!
diy christmas tree
I decided it would be best if I sanded it down so that the paint did not crack off. Unfortunately I had a few disasters where parts of it snapped off during this process, but I just stuck them back on after with a glue gun! After I had finished sanding I painted the whole thing with 2 coats of white paint.
diy christmas decorations
You may remember me mentioning this post for a DIY painted pinecone garland. Well I decided to give it a go, but make individual decorations instead of a garland. I think they look so pretty! I also found some large pinecones so I thought I would paint them too as ornaments.
diy pine cone decorationpainted pine cone
Wouldn't this be fun to do with kids!? I remember when I was younger we spent one Christmas with the family in Germay and hired out a couple of cabins. Of course we didn't have any decorations with us, so we made our own. It was the most memorable Christmas, and I loved making the decorations, even if it did mean stringing hundreds of pieces of pop corn onto string!
DIY Christmas tree
I really love the clean look of my cute little Christmas corner. I may just have to keep my twig and decorate it accordingly for the rest of the year!

Laura xXx

16 comments:

  1. love this idea http://joannavictoria-x.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, would never have guessed you'd gone out and found the twig yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very excited when i found the perfect twig. I expect people passing me thought i was bonkers though!

      Delete
  3. That is wonderful, sometimes it takes seeing somethign with a hefty price tag to make you think "i could so do that" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pine cones look fabulous- the red one really reminds me of a rose. And no needles to hoover up afterwards; heaven! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, its staying up all year round now. I'm thinking in easter i can hang eggs from it!

      Delete
  5. Aww your tree came out so cute!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awh this looks amazing! such a clever diy, i'd love to give this a go but i think pixel would destroy it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, possibly not a cat friendly DIY! Haha :)

      Delete
  7. very pretty! My nephew came round at the weekend with a popcorn garland he had made :-)

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah bless, making decorations is fun! Last year I made all my work colleagues (many who are middle aged men) make paper snowflakes and we put them up around the office. They actually quite got into the spirit of it! :)

      Delete
  8. I totally love this! I wish I had more room in my tiny apartment for more Christmas decor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could totally do it with a smaller twig! A mini mini tree perhaps?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena